Saturday 4 October 2014

Arrived

Ken, Kathryn and me at Heathrow Airport!

Late Thursday night - or early Friday morning - me, Kathryn and Kenneth arrived at Entebbe airport. We were met by Innocent and Shevan, who are two of the volunteers at the Smile International centre, and Alex, the project manager, and his wife Bennie. We arrived at the house at about 2.00 in the morning and went straight to sleep as we were shattered after a long journey!

Innocent, me, Kathryn, Ken, Alex and Beni met us at Entebbe Airport

We had a lie in on Friday and then went into Kampala with Innocent to do some shopping. We went to the supermarket which wasn't too different from the ones in England, then e went to a market selling fresh fruit and veg which was weird to see compared to what we have in England, and made me think how processed and manufactured a lot of our food is.

I really enjoyed driving though the streets of Kampala and just seeing all the people and how busy everyone was. Also seeing the children coming home from school was lovely! It made me realise that no matter where you are we are all the same and people are just people - which is a comforting thought when we have just arrived in this new and completely different place!

After a nice meal we went to bed and had another lie in this morning because it is Saturday and it is everyone's day off. I felt a bit sick today - I think it is the adjustment and the malaria tablets - so I have been relaxing and mostly sleeping.

It gets dark here at about 7 and sometimes there is power in the evening and sometimes there isn't. Last night we played a game of rummikub in the dark and eat dinner by candlelight!

The people here at the centre are lovely and very welcoming. We have had a good couple of days but I know it will take a while to adjust to the new surroundings. I am looking forward to church tomorrow and will update this again soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment