Tuesday 6 January 2015

Baby it's cold outside! (not)

Firstly I apologise for the terrible pun, I think I am turning into Dad already which is scary.

This year was my first Christmas away from home and my first Christmas in Africa! It wasn't scorching heat but certainly a lot hotter than in the UK! On the days running up to Christmas we had a good rest and got into the festive spirit by watching Christmas films and decorating the house, we were also able to collect some of our post which was really nice. We still haven't received all of our post yet (I think the Kampala post office is just being extra slow due to all the Christmas post) but it should filter through over the next month! Thank you very much to everyone who has sent cards and parcels it was so lovely to receive some on Christmas and I am looking forward to the arrival of the rest.

Pretty Pinnies!
Kathryn, Birinda and me - Kitchen Selfie!

On Christmas day we had a busy but really fun day. In the morning Kathryn, Ken and I went to church and which was a nice service, I especially enjoyed singing the Christmas carols. We then met Alex in town and went food shopping buying loads of treats like cheese, chocolate, cake and even bacon! We came back to the Smile House and started cooking with the help on some friends who had come round. By about 6 we were ready to eat the mountain of food that had been prepared by various people both in our house and Alex's house. There were so many different foods; roast chicken, goat, pigs in blankets, rice, pasta, roast potatoes, cauliflower and broccoli cheese (which tasted pretty good and was made by me I am proud to say!), pasta salad, fruit salad, ice cream, delicious cake, and probably some more I've forgotten. We had a great meal with about 10-15 friends arriving throughout the evening, sometimes completely unexpected(!), from church and Smile who had all come round to share Christmas with us. The food was brilliant and we were all stuffed by the end of it, the company was so lovely and hilarious as well! The celebrating went on into the evening and by the end of it we were all exhausted but very happy, and full!







And there was lots of laughing!





No comments:

Post a Comment