Monday 17 November 2014

Village life - part 2

In the village we stayed in a house, owned by a man called Leonard, which is still being built but is mostly finished. It is a lovely house in beautiful surroundings - it is right next to Leonard's plantations of various crops such as bananas, maize and coffee. All it was missing was a gas cooker, hot water, beds, phone signal and internet! However we had mattresses, a charcoal stove outside, and even proper toilets and cold showers so we were very lucky. And in fact I didn't miss the internet or my phone hardly at all, it was nice to have a different pace of life.

Leanord's house

Mine and Kathryn's room

Our room was great, the only bad things were the giant insects ... and biting Ants ...and Ghekos ...and Mice! I have a great collection of bites. The worst time was when Kathryn woke me up at four in the morning because there was a mouse on her mattress! I was thankful to get away from the wildlife centre that was our room but I do think I will be able to cope better with insects and rodents from now on!

As well as working in the school we had some free time to relax and explore the surroundings a bit. I enjoyed reading on the beautiful balcony at the house which overlooked some of the farm land. We also went on a few bike rides on the plantation and to the Smile farm, which was nearby. There were four bikes and I got stuck with the small bike which looked quite funny. I think sometimes the people in the village thought we were a bit mad!

Me on my 'bike'
Some of the surroundings

The other rally enjoyable thing about the village was the church. It was a small church of about 25 people and it was a very 'African' style church which was brilliant to experience. The services lasted from 9.30 til 1.00 - but we soon discovered that most people turned up at about 11! I really enjoyed the worship time they had there. They didn't have any instruments apart from drums and rice shakers but the worship was so lively and completely focused on God. I loved the freedom they had, it felt very lead by the spirit and a completely open time of worship and praise whether you were dancing, praying, or singing. Most of it was in Luanda but they did a few English songs as well which was nice. Similarly the sermon and teaching time was also very interesting and enjoyable. It was translated for us by Innocent which was really great. The teaching was really helpful and again it felt very spirit led, even though they didn't have anything apart from Bibles - no projectors, microphones, visual aids etc it was the most interested I have been in sermons for a long time! No offence Mum and Dad! The teaching was just very honest and straight to the point. Also, one Sunday the preacher went round the congregation asking for 'words' from everyone so we had to give a thought to the church which put us on the spot - I hope Innocent made mine sound better in translation! For the three Sundays we were at the village I loved going to the church and felt very connected to God there. On our last Sunday the congregation prayed for us all which was lovely and I really didn't want to leave.

The outside of the church

The inside of the church

Overall I really really enjoyed our time in the village. The combination of the wonderful people, the children, the school, the church, the house and the surroundings it was all such a great experience.

Now we are back in the Smile house near Kampala, and this week we have started our regular routine we will be following for the next few weeks until the Christmas holidays. Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday are spent at a school called Ruth Mother Care, where we were digging the foundations for the new building last month. A short term team came while we were in the village and finished the new school building which is a much better structure than the old building. The school day lasts from 8 til 3 and the school is great, though quite different from the village school. \On Thursdays we do outreach work in the slums in Kampala which is an eye-opening experience but it is so worthwhile and I think it is one of, if not my favourite, project we have been involved in so far. Fridays are kids clubs and the one I help at is in the same slum area so I feel like I am getting to know the place and the children already. There were 70 kids at the club last Friday so it is pretty hectic but I love it. Also in the evenings I have been getting involved with the music groups at Kampala Baptist church and helping at the Saturday and Sunday services. Last Saturday we went to the beach - at Lake Victoria with the youth from church which was really fun. So I have been very busy this week but I am enjoying having so much to do!

I will hopefully put up some pictures and describe in more detail the things we have been doing since the village when we are more organised but I thought I would give you a quick overview so you know what I have been up to. 

Thanks again to everyone from Preston Baptist Church, family, friends and everyone who is supporting me. It is really encouraging to hear all the lovely things from home and to know I have so many people thinking and praying for me. I hope you are all well and enjoying the winter! Lots of love.x



1 comment:

  1. Hi Ruth, another good blog and no offense taken about the sermons! In fact, maybe mum and I need to come and visit the village church to pick up some tips...(only joking). I might also try the idea at Preston one Sunday morning of going round the congregation asking for 'words'! Nice photo with the tricks bike, by the way. Love dad x

    ReplyDelete